Immersion Residency Overview
At St. David’s HealthCare, we understand the challenges that new nurses face. The Immersion Residency is an on-boarding program for new RNs, which efficiently and effectively orients the new RN to bedside nursing practice at St. David’s HealthCare. The residency is offered three times per year, in the spring, summer, and fall.
This evidence-based program is supported by the Institute of Medicine Future of Nursing recommendation to implement nurse residency programs, Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, Benner’s Novice to Expert Continuum, Bloom’s Cognitive Domains, and other current literature. This program has been very successful in easing the transition from student to professional nurse.
Immersion Residency: Dates and Details
10 to 13 weeks (depending on specialty):
- Initial three week on-boarding, including Nursing Orientation, Residency Orientation, Education, and initial unit on-boarding
- Remaining 7 to 10 weeks structured to allow the majority of time to be spent on the unit of hire, with a trained preceptor
- January 26, 2015
- February 9, 2015
- June 15, 2015
- July 13, 2015
- September 28, 2015
Specialties include, but are not limited to:
- Surgical Services
- Critical Care/Intensive Care/Intermediate Care/Progressive Care
- Emergency Department
- Labor and Delivery
- Neonatal Intensive Care
The Academy for Clinical Excellence's Critical Care/ED Series is designed to provide the new critical care or ED nurse with the knowledge and skill for care of the critically ill patient. Each of the daylong sessions is a separate class, and nursing CE certificates will be awarded at the end of each session. No prerequisites required. Limited space available. 6.5 CEs provided per class. No fee.
Courses Include: Essentials of Dysrhythmias, Cardiac, Pulmonary, GI/Renal/Endocrine & Code, ED Series, Hemodynamics & Shock, Neuro and TOSA
The transition from new nurse to professional nurse is challenging. The Specialty Nurse Accelerated Program (SNAP) at St. David’s HealthCare is an elite training program designed to rapidly advance the careers of graduate nurses, as well as those seeking to move into another specialty.
For more information, click here to learn about the SNAP Fellowship.
How to Apply
The application for Summer 2014 cohorts is now closed.
The applications for Fall/Winter 2014 is now open.
In order to participate in the Immersion Residency, you must secure a Graduate Nurse position within St. David’s HealthCare. Please review our FAQs prior to applying.
Please indicate in your cover letter or objective your choices in order of your preference. Please provide as much detail as possible.
If you click on the hospital below and you receive this error message “the position is no longer available” at this time that facility is not accepting new graduate applications. It will open when a position becomes available.
Please click and apply to ONLY three positions to be considered.
Please do not apply to other RN requisitions. Those are for RNs with at least 6 months experience as a RN.
What is the Next Step?
Once you have submitted an application:
- Your application will be reviewed by a recruiter.
- Applications that meet qualifications for interview will be forwarded to hiring managers and directors. Hiring needs are dependent upon many factors, including current openings.
- Selected applicants will be contacted for interview.
- Upon interview, please inquire about participation in our Residency.
- For more information about the residency, contact Gena Anderson at email@example.com.
If you have accepted a position in the Nurse Residency:
- Congratulations! Welcome to the Team.
- Your unit and Human Resources department will coordinate your schedule.
- Please be proactive in taking steps to ensure you have a current Texas GN permit or RN license. Visit http://www.bon.texas.gov/ for more information about nursing licensure in Texas.
- You will be contacted by the residency coordinator approximately 2 weeks prior to your orientation day with information about residency classes and requirements.
- If you have questions about the Nurse Residency, you may contact your hiring Director or Manager, Human Resources, or Gena Anderson (Nurse Residency Coordinator).