The arrival of a new baby is an extraordinary event. At South Austin Medical Center, we share the thrill of each birth and know that nothing is more important or gratifying than delivering a healthy baby.
We offer warm, personalized care backed up by the medical technology and training that can only be provided by a hospital with the comprehensive range of capabilities and services you'll find at South Austin Medical Center. Our basic goal is shared by each doctor, nurse, and volunteer in our maternity center. We want to make sure that you and your baby begin your new life as a family on a happy, healthy note.
Main Contact: (512) 447-2211
- Before receiving billing statement: 512-448-7130
- After receiving billing statements: 866-391-2018
- Breastfeeding consultations: 512-816-6388
- Childbirth education classes: 512-478-3627 or 512-816-7MOM
- Labor and delivery: 512-816-7229
- Physician Referral Line: 512-478-DOCS (3627)
- Pre-registration: 512-462-8291
- Women’s Center Information Line: By calling 512-816-7229, you can get helpful numbers to assist you in locating a patient or getting more information about South Austin Medical Center’s Maternity Services.
Congratulations on your pregnancy and your upcoming delivery. We look forward to the honor of serving you during this exciting time in your life. We offer warm, personalized care backed by state of the art medical technology and training. You will find a comprehensive range of services provided at St. David’s South Austin Medical Center.
Be ready for baby – as an expectant mother, you can save time and preregister for your upcoming delivery. Visit stdavids.com/register
to preregister for your hospital admission.
Along with your physician, we want to provide you and your family with information to prepare for your delivery and the care of your baby. We offer free tours to familiarize you with our facility. Information offered in classes will help you make safe and confident decisions about care choices during your labor and birth. Women’s Center Tours
– Always offered on the third and fourth Sunday each month. Meet in the south lobby at 1 pm to tour the facility, review security policies and hospital routines. Advanced registration is not required. Sibling Tour
– “Big Brother & Big Sister New Baby Day Camp” is a tour with the soon to be sibling in mind. We will “hike” through the hospital, get a free backpack, and learn about being a good big brother & sister. Preregistration is required. Childbirth Classe
s – Learn about the labor and birth process along with coping and breathing techniques to help you feel confident during the birth process. Partners will learn strategies to help assist you through your labor. You will also learn about hospital procedures including information about pain medicine, epidurals and cesarean deliveries. Classes offered each month over a series of three evenings. Preregistration is required, it is best to take the class a month or two before your due date. Childbirth Express Class
– The express class is a streamlined version of the comprehensive childbirth class series. Class is offered one Saturday a month. Preregistration is required, it is best to take the class a month or two before your due date. Breastfeeding Class
– Breastfeeding will help to get your baby off to a healthy start. This class will offer step by step instructions and guidelines to enhance success with breastfeeding. We recommend you attend the class with your partner. Class is offered one evening each month and preregistration is required. Cesarean Class
– If you know in advance that you are having a cesarean delivery, this class will prepare you for surgery so you know what to expect. Pain and comfort management techniques will be discussed along with strategies to make this a positive family centered event. Class is offered one evening a month and preregistration is required. Baby Care Class
– If you have never changed a diaper or given a baby a bath, this class will help to prepare you for those initial weeks at home. Class content also includes newborn procedures in the hospital, cord and circumcision care, taking temperatures, recognizing signs of illness, and proven methods to comfort your baby. Class is offered one time a month and preregistration is required. TO PREREGISTER- Available 24 hours a day, visit stdavids.com, or call 512-478-3627 or 1-888-868-2104 to find a doctor, speak to one of our nurses, or register for upcoming classes and tours.
Our eight beautiful Labor and Delivery rooms feature a warm, home-like atmosphere, while offering state-of-the-art medical technology. Amenities include TV, private phones, and whirlpool baths in some units.
Father or coach participation is encouraged for the mother’s assistance and support during labor and childbirth.
Both planned and emergency c-sections are preformed by your doctor and assisted by our labor and delivery staff. Barring the need to general anesthesia, a support person may be present for delivery.
Fathers or coaches may be present, with physician approval for cesarean births.
A new mother may request that her infant join her during the recovery period. We encourage mothers to spend as much time with their babies as possible.
Rooming-in with your baby is encouraged to help you get to know your baby and feel comfortable with his or her care before you go home. Nursery staff is always available for assistance.
Individual instruction in newborn care and breastfeeding is offered to parents while the mother is a patient in the postpartum area. Information includes characteristics of a newborn, signs and symptoms of illness, and baby care techniques.
Our Level I and Level II nursery has twenty beds. The Level II nursery can provide care for compromised babies with higher acuity needs. The nursery is divided into separate sections, with dedicated space for Level II babies. This area has added technology and state-of-the-art equipment to monitor these infants.
The nursery also features a room designated for patient education on breastfeeding where registered nurses can assist new mothers and infants. This room provides privacy for those mothers who are breastfeeding babies who have not yet been discharged for health reasons.
With your written consent, our nursery staff will take your baby’s first photo.
Friends and family, including siblings of any age, are invited to visit during general visiting hours, 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. After 8:30 p.m., we encourage visits only from the father. To safeguard the health of your infant, all visitors should be illness free. The hospital staff will limit your visitors or phone calls upon request.
It’s important to provide a bonding, resting and teaching time each day for our new moms, their significant others and the baby. We encourage everyone to limit visitors from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. every afternoon.
In accordance with state law, FDA-approved infant car seats must be used to take your new baby home. Before going home, your nurses will review instructions regarding care for you and your baby. A volunteer will then assist you with transporting all of your personal belongings as you leave the hospital.
This service is available to new mothers to provide information and assistance with their breastfeeding experience. Mothers may call to discuss any breastfeeding issues or concerns. Consults are available by appointment. Please call 512-816-6388.
Maternity and Newborn Services
section to learn more about all services offered at all St. David's HealthCare locations. Get helpful resources related to this, including access to our health library and news, classes & events.