At St. David's South Austin Medical Center (SDSAMC), our volunteers are a vital part of our healthcare team and make a lasting difference in our patients' lives. Volunteers add an extra measure of kindness and courtesy to patients, their families, visitors, hospital personnel, and fellow volunteers.
We have two different types of volunteers: Adult Volunteers (18+), which includes college students, and Teen Volunteers, ages 15 to 17. Teen Volunteers must begin volunteering through the Summer Junior Program.
Several steps must be completed prior to becoming a volunteer at SDSAMC:
- Complete a Volunteer Application (Link and information below)
- Submit to a background check
- Participate in a peer interview process with the SDSAMC Auxiliary Membership Committee
If you are accepted as a volunteer, you must be prepared to:
- Have a TB blood test (provided free of charge at the St. David’s Occupational Health Center on 32nd Street)
- Attend a full day of St. David’s Partnership orientation (offered every other Monday at North Austin Medical Center) and a partial day of facility orientation at SDSAMC (on the following Tuesday).
Both morning (8am to 1pm) and afternoon (1pm to 6pm) weekday shifts are available, depending on the area assigned. Specific shift availability and duties will be discussed during your initial interview. Each volunteer will receive appropriate training and orientation to the assigned area of service. We ask that volunteers commit to at least 50 hours of annual service to the hospital to remain in active status.
Examples of places our volunteers serve are:
- Main Volunteer Station
- Gift Shop
- Critical Care & surgery waiting rooms
- Golf cart
For more information, please contact the Volunteer Services Department at (512) 816-7405
Apply to become a Volunteer today by filling out a SDSAMC Volunteer application (Online or Print > Fill > FAX or Mail the form).
Click here to download a volunteer application form.
Click here to apply online
Please send all applications to the Volunteer Services Department by Fax: (512) 816-7322 or Mail: St. David's South Austin Medical Center Volunteer Services Department 901 W. Ben White Austin, TX 78704