Surgical & NICU Services for Baby
In all matters concerning your baby, your family deserves both experience and compassion, with focused care centered on the needs of both mother and baby. Every baby matters, and every life that begins or is nurtured at St. David’s Medical Center is precious. While our desire is for every baby to be born healthy, occasionally infants need special medical attention. Our Baby Matters Nurse Navigator service is designed to help families of high-risk infants prepare for their baby’s stay in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
If your infant may require NICU care – due to a variety of medical conditions requiring surgery after birth or prematurity - special services are offered to you as an expectant mother even before your baby is born. When your physician refers you to this unique St. David’s Medical Center program, our Baby Matters Nurse Navigator will help guide you on the journey of bringing your child into the world. She will help you coordinate a visit to St. David’s Medical Center’s NICU and maternity areas. During this visit, you will also have a face-to-face consultation with a board-certified neonatologist to discuss the specific care and expectations for your baby after birth. Our goal is to familiarize you and your family with St. David’s Medical Center and our committed staff, answer your questions and address your concerns, and support your understanding during this unique and special time.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, delivery of a high-risk infant should be planned to occur in a facility capable of providing the anticipated level of NICU care. With our acclaimed maternity services and state-of-the-art Level III NICU, St. David’s Medical Center is the only hospital in the Austin area where a mother and her newborn baby requiring surgery can be cared for in the same facility. This avoids any added anxiety of separation from your baby and allows care of the baby to be immediately administered upon delivery. This also decreases the risk involved with transferring your baby to another hospital away from you.
Read more about the Baby Matters Program here
For more information regarding any Baby Matters service or to contact for a tour, please call 512-544-5189 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Physicians and staff who are experienced professionals, committed to providing exceptional care to every patient
- Comfortable, family centered environment
- Newly renovated Women's Health floor, complete with state-of-the-art technology
- All private rooms
- 3 luxury suites for an additional charge per night
- Spacious, well appointed Labor & Delivery Rooms
- Surgical suites located in the Labor & Delivery Unit
- Midwives and doulas are welcome to be present at your birth
- All RN staff, competent in both high and low-risk obstetrical care
- 24/7 Neonatology coverage
- 24/7 Anesthesia coverage
- 24/7 Maternal Fetal Medicine Coverage
- Maternal & Neonatal Transport Team
- Parent Education classes taught by employees of St. David's Medical Center