Contact: (512) 544-5100
St. David's Medical Center offers Rehabilitation Services including speech, occupational and physical therapy. Our specialized therapists play an active role in the care of patients in our Certified Stroke Center, the Institute of Neurology and Neuroscience, the post-op orthopedic and rehab unit, as well as general medical patients.
- A developmental therapy program in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Acute stroke rehabilitation
- Experts in swallowing and speech disorders
- A 16-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit
- A specialized program for knee, hip and shoulder replacements
- An interdisciplinary orthopedic unit
- Orthopedic rehabilitation services for pediatric through adult populations
- Wound Care
Our rehabilitation professionals dedicated to creating therapy programs that help patients move to the next level of care or return to normal activities in the shortest possible time.
For patients with cardiovascular disease, St. David's Medical Center offers the only cardiac rehabilitation program in Austin certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Every year, we help more than 300 patients participate actively in their own recovery and return to a healthy, active lifestyle. Our cardiac rehabilitation program focuses on prevention of heart disease, conservation of health, as well as rehabilitation after a cardiac event.
We provide cardiac monitored exercise therapy in a safe, controlled environment to enhance patients' quality of life, reduce risk factors that will contribute to future cardiovascular disease, and avoid readmission to the hospital. Individual goals are established with each patient based on a stress test, a patient interview and assessment, a medical history review, and a blood lipid profile. Learn more...
This is a comprehensive program offered to hospitalized patients which integrates monitored, progressive physical activity, education and emotional support. It is for individuals with or at risk for coronary heart disease, angina, post myocardial infarction or coronary artery bypass surgery. To meet each patient's specific needs and goals, we use a multi-disciplinary team that includes staff from nursing, exercise physiology, case management, nutrition services, social services, and pastoral care.
- Medical director board certified in cardiac rehab
- Program certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- On-site Health and Fitness Center that overlooks beautiful downtown Austin and UT campus
- Comprehensive risk reduction program including smoking cessation classes, nutritional counseling, weight management, lipid management and physical activity counseling
- Heart disease management classes covering treatments, medications, stress management, nutrition and exercise
- Cardiac support group for patients with coronary heart disease and their families
- Fit Hearts, a comprehensive risk factor screening and education program
- One-on-one supervision by professional specially trained staff
- Close monitoring of your heart rhythm, heart rate, and blood pressure
- Ongoing communication with your referring physician regarding your progress